CamelBak Signs Five Runners in UTWT Top 20 Rankings to Team for 2018Pau Capell, Second Ranked Ultra Trail Runner in the World, is the Newest Addition to CamelBak’s Run Team.
Petaluma, Calif. (Jan. 25, 2018) – CamelBak, the originator of hands-free hydration and the Ditch Disposable movement, will keep some of the world’s top ultra-runners hydrated in 2018. After the launch of a totally redesigned run line in 2017, CamelBak comes into 2018 trail season with its most decorated run roster yet.
This year’s roster includes five runners ranked in the top 20 by Ultra Trail World Tour (UTWT) - Pau Capell (Spain), Benoit Girondel (part of Team Fuji Trail, France), Xavier Thevenard (part of Team Fuji Trail, France), Didrik Hermansen (Norway), Gediminas Grinius (Lithuania). Spanish runner and second ranked globally by UTWT, Pau Capell, will train and compete as a CamelBak runner for the first time this year. The 2017 Transgrancarnia champion and sixth place male in last year’s UTMB, Capell’s 2018 schedule will include a trip to the United States to compete in Colorado’s Hard Rock 100.
This year Team CamelBak will take on some of the world’s most grueling terrain and elevations, where hydration and gear carry has never been more important – including:
• Xavier Thevenard – A legend on the trails and longtime member of the CamelBak team, Thevenard will compete in this year’s UTMB, on the hunt for his third career victory in the famed race. Thevenard has a knack for conquering a range of distances, proving this when he was the first runner to win each of the UTMB’s four races (OCC, CCC, UTMB, TDS.)
• Gediminas Grinius – Or GG for short – is not just the 2016 UTWT overall champion, but a military veteran and coach for aspiring Ultra Trail World Tour runners. Known for his thoughtful, strategic approach to competition and mental toughness, in 2018 GG will take on not just ultra marathons but also the Marathon De Sables, a grueling multistage adventure race through the Sahara.
• Cody Reed – Reed, a member of Northern Arizona’s the Coconino Cowboys training group, started the new year with a Golden Ticket race win at Bandera 100K to qualify for this year’s Western States. This exciting qualification came after Reed captured three wins in 2017 at Way Too Cool 50K, UROC 100 and Miwok 100.
• Meredith Edwards –Meredith Edwards is a multi sport professional athlete competing in ultra marathons and ski mountaineering. After placing in the top 10 in UTMB CCC and UTMB TDS in 2015 and 2016, respectively, Edwards took on the UTMB as her first 100+ mile race in 2017. She’ll continue to push the 100 mile finish line in 2018 at the Madeira Island Ultra-Trail, Eiger Ultra Trail and Run Rabbit Run 100.
• Jax Mariash -- After becoming the first woman to complete the 4 Deserts Race Series Grand Slam Plus, a series of five multistage adventure races through the world’s most extreme climates, Mariash has set her sights on conquering some of the world’s most epic single day races in 2018. With qualifications for both the Leadville 100 and UTMB, Mariash will take on this new challenge at some of the sport’s most famous courses.
Other CamelBak runners on the global roster include France’s Sebastian Camus, American YiOu Wang, Kiwi Scotty Hawker and Australian Kellie Emmerson.
For more information on CamelBak’s full roster of sponsored athletes please visit: https://www.camelbak.com/en/our-values/ambassadors